Saturday, November 8, 2008

Learning the Tricks of the Trade

So I've learned that if you're having trouble getting sleepyhead boys out of bed (age 10-14) all you need to do is mischieviously coordinate them all to go jump on another sleepyhead's bed- I've never seen them move so fast! It goes from being half awake, to, 'OKAY! Let's go!" Another trick is to start singing 'Dancing Queen' while dancing goofily in their room. Trying to hide their smiles, I'll I hear is "Nooooooooo, we'll get up, we'll get up!!" as they jump out of bed.

Over Halloween weekend I was really missing being home because they did nothing fun to celebrate it. So I got them all together in a pitch black room with a 'torch' (flashlight) and we took turns telling ghost stories- creepy voices and sound effects included! Keep in mind they're in 5th-7th grade, so their stories were really random, odd and not really scary at all. They had a good time though, especially laughing at me when I would jump at their loud or surprising parts. (Those that have ever experienced watching a scary movie can relate- I can be rediculously jumpy.) They even had shy little Tino hiding in a suitcase in the middle of the room, ready to jump out at the perfect moment to scare the unexpected newcomer. Half the fun was trying to secretly pulll this off without the Matrons knowing- they can be so strict and mean- I'm sure they wouldn't approve of half the things I allow (and plan!) for the boys to do.

I've realized that even though these boys are some of the luckiest/most priviledged in SA (compared to all those living in 3rd world poverty) they still have such a deficit when it comes to tlc. They say being a border is good because it makes you tough- but I don't know if that's so great. They miss out on a lot of tenderness and special attention. A new goal of mine is to hug and compliment/encourage a border each day. Go hug and encourage someone today that isn't expecting it- it'll be fun for both of you.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

im so proud of you em
and i love reading your blog.
I hope your happy and doing well

love you
sarah

Gigi said...

keep hugging them!!

Amy Castillo said...

what a great goal!

Unknown said...

oh my gosh. i've been insanely busy lately i'm so soooorrry we havent talked! i'm just getting alot of my school stuff turned in so hopefully my life will slow down a little!!! you have no idea how much i miss you and how insanely excited to talk about everything.