Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Extra Curricular Activities

Teachers here at Kingswood have a full plate. The other Grade 5 teacher I work with teaches his regular Grade 5 class, art classes, coaches whatever sport is in season, and you can find him mowing the school's grass in whatever free time he has left. My teacher teaches, coaches, is in charge of a current school play, and his Head Matron over one of the boarding houses. Wow. This Student Teacher has been no exception. Swimming- they have me coaching swimming- (enter laughter here). Not only have I never coached swimming, but they gave me the beginner group. Please try to picture this-- an odd ball mix of extra big to tiny as a stick swimmers, that if by the end of the practice no one has drowned, I consider it a huge success. It's so funny (chaotic, nerve wracking, makes you just have to make a big sigh) when the big swimmers try to stay above water ("swim") and create such a tidal wave that the littles ones are washed away. Arms flaling, zig zag lines and doggy paddling are normal sights to see. I've given it my best shot, taught them some things, and no one's died, so overall I think it was a good experience. One of my favorite memories is as a last resort (and because I really thought it would be a lot of fun) I lead them in some supurb water arobics.


We also just finished up with "Cafe Cabaret" which was a huge production put on by the school staff (everyone from the Stooges to the Headmasters in the Junior & Senior Schools) for them to bond and raise money for charity. We performed to pretty packed audiences for 4 nights- it was such a blast! I performed in a routine with the teachers to "Dancing Queen" as well as with the Stooge Girls in the "Can Can!" We were a hit, it might have helped that we did a lot of ruffling of our skirts and even flashed our undies at the end!


Here's a tour of the school via the back of my friends Motor Bike. You might want to mute the volume-- the wind sounds pretty hectic!

3 comments:

Hudson said...

GEEZE EM! When did you start posting videos?!

It looks like you're having an indescribable time in Africa. It was good to actually see you moving and leading water aerobics! Who woulda thought.

PS. 53 people are currently registered for DCC from NW. Praise God.

mallory.kiersten said...

Cool videos!! It was fun seeing a tour of the school... good video skills on a motor bike! :) And those purple trees are beautiful!!

Ah... I cannot wait for you to come back so I can hear all about your experiences in Africa! And I'm sure there are plenty of foods and drinks you miss from over here (I know the feeling), so you get to choose where we go!

Love you and miss you. We will be thinking of you and missing you at DCC this year. :)

Gigi said...

I hear you're comin home...would love to have a cuppa and hear all about it!!