Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Being the Famous American Student Teacher

I understand why famous people hide behind hoods and big sunglasses- I've experienced the same feeling. Don't get me wrong- it's incredible- but after you've returned a big smile and excited 'hallo' to a never ending supply of kids in the hallway, every passing period, every school day for going on 3 months now- you start looking for alternative routes.
When I look at the kids, the classroom and even the school building I can picture them fitting in the US-I almost forget I'm in another country until they start asking me questions with metric measurements- any questions on in./ft./yrds? No?
Me attempting to grade English assignments is also puzzling due to them spelling so many words differently. Spelling is already not my strong suit- then to see words like realise, mum, colour, and practise on papers- oh my! I always have to have a dictionary in arms reach!
I've had a lot of fun with the units I've gotten to teach. One was a detective mystery over "The Mysterious Case of Specimen-X". They got clues everyday to solve what this strange creature was meanwhile learning all about frogs. We also had a Bird Safari where they were trained all about birds to become well educated safari guides. They then researched their own birds and taught the class about them during our pretend Bird Safari excursion.

Below is a clip of a staged- but close to real- classroom greeting when a teacher walks in the room. The one below that is just a survey of my scene.



1 comment:

Wheels said...

You seem to fit in so well. Do you think you will stay?