Friday, October 10, 2008

Transkei- Take 2

A few weeks ago I got a special treat to tag along with an American team back into the Transkei. They were coming to do a variety of projects, one being going back to the school I visited before to do a course on AIDS awarness. My mom, being the compassionate and go-getter she is, arranged for the team to bring a suitcase from her filled with school supplies
(posters, blocks, chalkboards, atticus, balls, books) for me to take to them. What an awesome time to be the messenger! I really enojed showing the teachers everything and I know it will bless the kids and the school tremendously. It was an experience for me to have to show them what could and couldn't stick to the magnent board- something new to them!

I had such a light hearted and playful time with the kids this trip. My first trip I honestly really struggled to connect to what I was seeing and I became regretably stand off-ish. It was like I was seeing things in a picture- it had no deapth, if that makes sense. There was nothing I could relate to, we couldn't communicate, their culture was strange to me, and I was hesitant to even what body language was acceptable. This time was different and a connection was made through the little girl that is on my lap in the picture below. You know how most of the time when you pick up a little one to just squeeze and love to pieces, they normally lay there limp, unresponsive. When I picked up and hugged this young girl, I felt her little arms and tiny hands and fingers sqeeze me back. That was the first thing I understood in this village all day.
I spent most of my time surrounded (mobbed - in a good way- more like!) by little ones soaking it up. I would start to rub some backs, and all of a sudden someone was at my back giving it a good rub and even a masage! I would attempt to walk around, but I always had at least 2 kids holding on to my hips, so it was quite a slow, but sweet process to get anywhere. I was holding hands and playing tag, I was tickling and having my hair styled by their curious fingers. I got out my MP3 player and I had a line of tiny-big people hoping to get the chance to listen. They would all bob their heads and pretend to know the words as they sang along to Lifehouse and others. It's incredible how powerful a thing touch is, but it's a tragedy how rare and special it is to them.

4 comments:

Gigi said...

Dang girl I cannot wait to hear more about it. For the longest time I have wanted Dan to go and now I wonder if I couldn't maybe go...you make it sound doable....I don't know you write in a way that stirs....

Unknown said...

emily. i am so excited that god is doing similar things in our hearts. i feel his presence lately more than i have in a really really long time. i wish i could be sitting across from you, indian style, in the dirt in africa right now trading stories... but i know god is working crazy in both of our lives right now as far apart as we are... you are lovely and i hope each day finds you doing well. things are going well here. teaching is challenging but i love the kids... i'm in manhattan kansas right now, nick lives here and i am in love with him... yes. you heard right. love.

i love you so much. you are so dear to my heart. i cant wait to hear everything from your time there.

suzy marie hachey. said...

i echo kate's comment. she always says things so well.

i love you em, and i look forward to the moment when i catch my breath and can sit down and really read your blog with such intention and love, soaking up every word of every story.

i know God is doing big things in your heart, and i pray for you every time i think of you.

love love love.

Unknown said...

Emily,
It's Cindi, Amy's mom. What a wondeful, once in a lifetime experience you are having!!! I am so glad you are there and making memories that will last you the rest of your life. AND Northwest is allowing you to complete your student teaching there and graduate in May!! I am so proud of you. Keep making those memories. I'm glad I have your blog now. I have been asking all the time how you are during.
~Cindi