Friday, October 10, 2008

Allow me to introduce you to my Host Family

Almarie, Rufus, Justus, and Inge. It's absolutly unreal how lucky I am to have been connected to these people and been counted as a member of their family since day 1. Almarie, who is excitedly holding her much desired Starbucks travel mugs from my family, may be one of the single most meaningful reasons why I'm here. I just don't feel like I can rightly express it in words. I love watching how her faith seems so real and simple. On any and every occasion she is sharing and living wisdom, making wise cracks that get me laughing, and taking more than an incredible amount of care of me. She has become a priceless friend and mentor and I already have this inkling she's going to be the hardest thing to leave when I come home.

Rufus, who I promise is the Crocodile Hunter, SA version, is much of the same. He is a man that gets very squeamish if kept indoors too long and is always willing to tenderly share what he's learned about life and God and ministry to anyone who will listen. A few times I've got to help him write his emails, which was funny, because apparently it shortens the process for him a great deal! I appreciate how he too makes such an effort to be apart of my life here. I am spoiled to get calls often asking how I'm doing and if I'm happy.


If you were wondering- it's real- Justus and I are definitely holding some homegrown Transkei Marijuana in the picture!
That's one thing I'm thinking probably shouldn't make it into my
souvenir collection.

1 comment:

Wheels said...

Wow Emily! It looks like you're having a great time. I especially enjoyed the last photo. Take a drag for me...