Friday, October 17, 2008

Learning to eat all over again

(This meal incredible- salad with feta cheese and cherries and egg plant with chicken, cheese and ??? some other things that were really tastey!)

Next to my 'accent', the 2nd hardest way to hide that I am a foreigner is when it comes time to eat. I don't know how many times I sat in the dinning hall, and had to turn to ask a friend, 'what is this and how do I eat it?' At my first meal off the plane, Almarie (and every South African I've met after her) excitedly asked if I had ever tried Biltonge. The first time I heard it, in my ears I heard 'bull tongue'- and instantly I felt my stomach sink and I thought, 'I just landed in Africa and already they're offering me strange animal parts to eat!' Ahh! Since then I've learned its actually a prized, higher quality type of jerky. Unfortunately, it just so happens jerky is one of the only foods I can not stomach, so with a big smile I've received and regifted a few gifts of Biltonge since I've been here.

I was freaked out when I was first offered milk for my 'pourage' (cereal) that had been left out over night. Their milk is processed differently here in a way that makes it long lasting- it can go days without being in the fridge- that took some getting used to!
I've been served a lot of interesting combinations here as well- one was a croissant with graded cheese and jam for breakfast. It was surprisingly 'nice'. It's so interesting to me how they never use the word 'good', always 'nice'. And it's definitely 'jam', not 'jelly'. One day at lunch I mistakenly asked someone to pass the 'jelly' and I got a whole table of funny looks. Their 'jelly' is our Jello, so you can only imagine their confusion (& mine!). Also when they eat Jello, they pour hot vanilla custurd on top which is weird.Their 'crisps'/'chips' are so interesting to me- with flavors like Thai Chili, Tomato, and Spring Onion and Cheese. Fast food around here is also a lot more exciting, you can order pizza with sausage in the crust, and your hamburger choices include ones with mushroom sauce, fruit chutney or even a fried egg if you'd like! If you order 'chips' (fries) with your meal they even include a tiny fork to eat them with- and that is a perfect example of the 'cutlery' manners and expectations around here. Wow- eating has become an art form! Through early and kind teasing from Rufus I learned Americans are 'confused' in thinking the side of their fork is actually a knife to cut things with- that's not the case here. A knife and fork are in hand through the whole process of eating until your done, and then you set them down together diagonally on your plate. Heaven forbid you ever pick something up with your hands! One day out to lunch, Almarie stopped and took my picture because she was so proud of how I've learned to use my knife!
I am becoming quite accustomed to my Robust Tea and rusks as well as the scones, 'biscuits' (cookies) and chocolate they have here- they're all so 'divine'! With all these new and exciting things to try I don't think I'll be coming home looking like I've been in Africa!

2 comments:

Hudson said...

I just caught myself up on your blog. Your trip sounds so amazing and life changing. What a blessing you probably are to the people there, and what a blessing they are to you, helping you to understand what their culture is like. Man, soak - that - up - Em. It must be awesome to have a family away from your family, especially one that reflects their faith so much in everything they do. You're really getting to be the body of Christ to people. Show them love.
1Corinthians13. The world needs it.

Wheels said...

Holy Cow! I want to have a long conversation about all this when you get back...