Thursday, September 4, 2008

I thought I arrived in Africa...


One of the most interesting parts about SA is how it's home to 2 drastically different cultures. A week ago I was in the Transkei walking among black African women wrapped in cloth in their rodillas (clay homes with straw roofs) holding their starving babies, and now I'm surrounded by a community of black and (mostly) white Africans who seemed to have been transported from Britain yesterday. I feel like I've travel to 2 countries in one trip!

I started with my actual Student Teaching at Kingswood College in Grahamstown last Tuesday. It's a boarding school for k-12 grade. I still can't comprehend how these little kids live so far from home while still being so young- I'm 23 and can still get homesick!

On my first day you could have told me I had somehow arrived on another planet and I would have believed you. Wherever you walk there are students greeting you, "'Mam" and my class even stands up to greet me when I walk in the room! "Good day Ms. Duggan". It really caught me off guard when the students pause beside the door frame waiting to let me go through first. The British Education culture has to be made up of geniuses, because the best surprise came around 10:30am when I learned there was a tea and toasted sandwich break everyday for all the teachers! I am definitly willing to bring this tradition back to the states! It was fun to see the students eagerness to ask me questions, one memoriable one being "What celebrities have you met? Have you been to California? Las Vegas?" [Since all they know of the US is from the movies! I can't imagine what preconcieved ideas they had about me!]

4 comments:

Gigi said...

reading with such AWE and joy with you. keep 'em coming!

What is it you are teaching them?

Unknown said...

its so exciting to read what ur ging thru. gimmie more!! love u em

BriAnn said...

What an amazing journey you are on. Thanks for sharing your stories. Love you.

Unknown said...

is that BriAnn Henderson? Or used to be??