Sunday, August 31, 2008

School in the 3rd World

This blog is still in progress... I get little spurts of time, but come back for the complete story! Visiting Schools in the Transkei. It's was shocking to see how many miles all these kids would have to walk on the highways just to get to school. We arrived just as the bell was ringing and it was fun to see the last of them scurring up the road to be on time (I was sure able to relate!). To start of the day they would line up in their classes and sing songs that made any choir I've ever heard sound pitiful. With the most beautiful voices and harmonies they sang, then heard a morning devotion, that would be given today by their new American friend (me) by translator. Above is a picture of their precious kindergarten class that we got to set in on and watch. They couldn't have been more adorable as they happily sang songs about their colors and days of the week while sitting on cratored cement floors with no matierals or toys except some little wood pieces they called their blocks. It was so funny as they each took turns introducing themselves, the boys especially would pridfully shout (and the teacher welcomed their loud enthusiasum), "Ey um sp-e-cial, ey um unique, my name es ____, ey um fieve yeers ould and ey um a bouy." The teacher was very kind to me and I keep thinking how she asked me if I ever got to come back if I could bring some matierals. I would love to do that.

This is a clip of a Pre-School we vistited, all orphans, who are learning their number '5' and vowels. The teachers bouncy and loving personality was so beautiful.

1 comment:

Gigi said...

thanks for taking the time to do it...Keep the updates coming....those kindergarteners are precious.....