Monday, September 8, 2008

I thought we spoke the same language...

When you go for a drive in South Africa you make turns at the 'robots' (traffic lights). If you're from the States, it will most likely 'cause you a fright' as you find yourself driving on the left side of the road. (This creates a really funny experience for me because when you look at the drivers seat it looks like no ones driving the car!)'Oh my word!' So 'hectic' (crazy)! It's interesting to me how it parallels with people walking on the left side of the hallway- I've finally learned this the hard way! Kingswood College is filled with 'grade knots' (Kindergarten) to 'Matrics' (Seniors) and I don't teach Fifth Graders, but 'Grade Fives'. They all just got back from their 'holiday' so they're very rested and active. My class is filled with names like Vaughen, Clifford, Bronwyn, & Vuyo who are a 'lovely' group who manage to be 'quite nice' and 'naughty' at the same time. (A relief that kids seem to stay the same no matter where you go!) High expectations are put on these kids to keep their 'files' (notebooks) 'tidy' and all their 'rubbish' in the 'dust bins'. They work diligently to not get 'ticks' (check marks) so their 'marks' (grades) will be high and they always stick to their 'time tables' (calanders). They use 'elastics' (rubber bands) and 2 ring 'punches' on their papers. (I confusedly asked where the 3 ring hole punch was {laughter} and I was told I probably wouldn't find one of those around here.) The kids are very polite, if I needed anything they'd ask, 'mus'nt I go fetch that for you?' As I wrote before, I am always 'keen' for 'half past 10' (never 10:15 or 10:30, but quarter past 10...) for tea and 'samies' (grilled cheese with tomatoes) in the teacher's lounge where you can also find their 'pigeon holes' (mailboxes). I think it's pretty 'kiff' (cool) how the 'chaps'/'oaks' (guys) always offer me their 'sweeties' (candy), but sooner or later I'm going to have to learn to say no. (This is not a language barrier problem unfortunately!) I hope to get the chance to load some more pictures 'just now' (not to be confused with 'right now' but 'eventually'- again, I had to learn this one the hard way).

It's been so good to have all these experiences, but it sure doesn't keep me from missing warm hugs and deep relationships. Miss you all so much :)

4 comments:

Almarie said...

Dear Em,
Looking forward to lunch and a good visit tomorrow!!! See you at 1!!How's the cricket skills coming along :-)

Unknown said...

Hey girl! Glad to hear things are going well for you! It's funny to hear the difference in culture. I know how hard it must be to be away from your cousin but you'll be back in a few weeks. hehe I love you and I can't wait till you come back so we can hangout!!!!
How much longer will you be there exactly??

Love ya EM!
Sarah & Clarence & Roman

Amy Castillo said...

I'm glad you are having so much fun. Yes, kids are the same everywhere, aren't they? Watch out...remember how you made fun of my English when I came back from El Salvador...it's your turn...miss you much!

Beth said...

the language sounds like it has a lot of british influence. can't wait to see you and get all the stories. Love ya!